Saturday, February 20, 2010

I Needed That

My husband has been out of town, and I have been stuck on the dreadmill... mile after mile. It has really been wearing on my motivation. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point-of-view), my husband got sick yesterday which meant for once it was ok to put the kids down for a nap and go get some fresh air. It is the first I had really ran since I had been sick, and I managed to struggle through 3 miles. Yes, just 3, and they were painful. My lungs weren't ready, my stomach wasn't ready, but it still felt amazing to run outside again... to actually travel from point A to point B.


This morning, I once again took advantage of my husband being home to go check out the Greenbelt Trail on Duck Creek in Garland. I have heard about it for quite some time, but I guess I was ignorant to how close it was and how fantastic it is for runners.

Yeah, well, it didn't look like that picture after the harsh snow of last week... just imagine everything in that picture as a lovely yellow-ish brown... but you get the idea. It was still a wonderful trail that wound along Duck Creek. It conveniently went under bridges so there was no stopping to cross at intersections. There were a couple of small muddy areas that caused me to slow down and tiptoe through them, but other than that, it was quite nice to be in a new environment and once again running outside.

I also tried GU today for the first time... I'm going to withhold my opinions until after a few more trials, but I wasn't really feeling what the difference was. We'll see if I can be convinced. (I used the Vanilla Bean flavor, and despite many reviews, it was actually quite easy to digest.)

2 comments:

Libby Jones said...

If you did 3 miles, when did you take the Gu? I suggest taking Gu every 45 minutes or so - for me, I take it between miles 4 and 5. You may not necessarily notice a boost, but without it, you will probably notice you aren't feeling so energetic after another few miles.

This is what training is for - every run is a new day. Keep testing out with Gu. try different flavors and different brands - some like Gu, some like Honey Stingers, some like Jelly Belly Sport Beans, some like Clif Shot Bloks. There's a good fit for every runner!

Great job getting active this weekend!

Lesley Jones said...

Hey Libby - The 3 mile run was Friday. I took the GU on Saturday. I walked 3 miles with a friend and then after she left, I took the GU and then ran 4 miles. I wasn't really in desperate need of energy, but I thought I would try it out at a point where it wasn't so crucial in case it upset my stomach. I bought a 6-pack of the vanilla and a 6-pack of chocolate. I wanted to try them because at the White Rock Half, I remember starting to feel hungry and zapped by mile 6 and by mile 9, I was practically a zombie. My goal for the next half (your fav - the H&H half), is to get through it and feel good at the end. Thanks for the hints on other things to try! There are so many "gadgets", that its hard to know what's worth it and where to start.