Saturday, March 06, 2010

FAIL!

Today was a FAIL as far as running was concerned.

I woke up bright and early (with all my kiddoodles at my father's house) and went to meet my partner for our shopping trip to the Farmer's Market for our veggie co-op. Before I get to the fail, let me just say that Margie and I completely scored on our farmer's market finds. Today we got spinach, green leaf lettuce, zucchini, broccoli crowns, potatoes, jalapenos, mangos, plums, apples, bananas, pears, and oranges. Everything looked delicious, which is not always the case this time of year. I just made myself a fabulous salad with the spinach, lettuce, and mango. Added carrot, tomato, craisons, chicken, and raspberry vinagrette. Sounds like a strange, "clean the fridge" style combo, but it was unbelievably good.

Now on to the fail... Since I was dressed in running pants and a t-shirt for the co-op shopping, I decided perhaps I could get in a few miles before I had to pick up the kids (I was already 15 minutes east of home and needed to head another 15 east, so I was not going to head home). So I get the bright idea to just stop at the Rockwall bridge on the way to get the kids. The bridge is 2 miles each way with a nice protecting running area. I was hoping I could get in 6 miles (up and down once, then 1/2 way up and back). As I pull in, I notice that my last drip of water has already been swigged, and of course I don't have my Forerunner, though since I know the length of the bridge I figure I'll manage. I am starving because I hadn't eaten anything but a granola bar at 6am and it was now 10am. So no water, hungry, and let's add to that no sunglasses (something I desperately need but don't have any suited to running anyhow) and I have on a long sleeve shirt in 63 deg weather (thank you God for the breeze that made that bearable).

But the ultimate fail was my shoes... I never wear my running shoes unless I specifically intend to run. So I wasn't wearing my lovely Asics that are like walking on clouds... I was wearing 13 year old Nike Airs that I'm pretty sure no longer should be allowed to have the word "air" on them. I could feel my right shin splint flarring up within the first mile, by mile 2 I was completely parched, by mile 3 I had to stop to attempt to adjust my sock to keep my shoes from rubbing a massive blister on my left foot, shortly after I could feel the same thing happening on my right heel. By mile 3 1/2, my stomach started seriously cramping, and at this point I decided to just make back to the end of the bridge where my car was parked. So by the end of mile 4, I was done. I decided to cut my losses and not torture my poor feet and shins for another 2 miles. Not to mention I was thirsty and hungry. By time I stopped, both heels were bloody and when I took off my shoes, I saw some blood on my right toes (where my poor nails can't ever seem to heal). Fun times.

I'm finally home with my babies, and I will be icing my shin, medicating my blisters, and shopping online for a new pair of cross-trainers so that if I'm ever again not in my running shoes, I still have shoes that will at least show a little care to my feet. I mean, really, I should know better than to keep shoes for 13 years (you'd be surprised to see how good they look after so long).

When Paige was asked how she felt about mommy's bright idea to run completely unprepared...

No comments: